On the morning of the surgery, the anesthesiologist called Melanie to tell her that he wants her to go see a resident OB doctor before coming in for pre-op at 11 AM. It all gets arranged and we leave immediately to take Jake to my mother's house and head to the OB doctor (Catie's already at school). Should a premature birth occur, this would be the doctor to deliver the baby, since her regular OB doesn't practice out of this hospital, Countryside Morton Plant.
We got to the hospital late, because the OB office took an hour. Melanie's friend Tracy met us there and we sat in the OR holding-pin for an hour and a half. Just talking and being silly.
At 1:30 they took Melanie to the OR. Tracy goes home to her little boy, I go and try to eat lunch. When I got back to the waiting area, the volunteer tells me they started the surgery at 2:00. At 2:45 they call and say she and the baby are doing fine. At 3:00 the nurse comes out, puts me in a room and tells me that the doctor will be out in 3-4 minutes....seemed like a lot longer to me.
Our thought for the day was "Trust in the Lord, for the Lord will not fail you." I took this to mean... there is nothing wrong, it's just a pregnancy thing, but that is what I wanted. Now I see that God intended it to mean something else....that he will bring Melanie and the baby through this safely.
Dr. M comes in and tells me that Melanie and the baby are doing fine. Then he tells me that she has Hodgkin Lymphoma. That out of all the lymphomas out there, this is the best one to get, that it is the most curable. He tells me that he has an oncologist that he refers his head and neck cancer patients to, he can call him and set up an appointment. I told him that my mother is a lung cancer survivor and that Melanie may want to go to her oncologist. He said he'll work with who ever we wanted. I told him we'd make the decision by Friday, when Melanie has to come back for a recheck. He leaves, I cry.
We got to the hospital late, because the OB office took an hour. Melanie's friend Tracy met us there and we sat in the OR holding-pin for an hour and a half. Just talking and being silly.
At 1:30 they took Melanie to the OR. Tracy goes home to her little boy, I go and try to eat lunch. When I got back to the waiting area, the volunteer tells me they started the surgery at 2:00. At 2:45 they call and say she and the baby are doing fine. At 3:00 the nurse comes out, puts me in a room and tells me that the doctor will be out in 3-4 minutes....seemed like a lot longer to me.
Our thought for the day was "Trust in the Lord, for the Lord will not fail you." I took this to mean... there is nothing wrong, it's just a pregnancy thing, but that is what I wanted. Now I see that God intended it to mean something else....that he will bring Melanie and the baby through this safely.
Dr. M comes in and tells me that Melanie and the baby are doing fine. Then he tells me that she has Hodgkin Lymphoma. That out of all the lymphomas out there, this is the best one to get, that it is the most curable. He tells me that he has an oncologist that he refers his head and neck cancer patients to, he can call him and set up an appointment. I told him that my mother is a lung cancer survivor and that Melanie may want to go to her oncologist. He said he'll work with who ever we wanted. I told him we'd make the decision by Friday, when Melanie has to come back for a recheck. He leaves, I cry.
No comments:
Post a Comment