Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blood Checkup

First, I'll start off by saying Monday was a really good day for Melanie. Her mouth sores were gone (PTL!) and she felt good (double PTL!). Things started declining on Tuesday. She was a little sickly in the morning and by early afternoon, she was very sick. Nothing would stay down. She called Nanny to come help her with the boys. Mom stayed with her until I got there at 5:30 to bring her and the kids to our house.

Today, I took her in for her blood work. I'm glad I went, she didn't get good news. White and red blood counts were low, very low and because she was dehydrated and felt nauseated, they decided to give her a "Happy Meal" along with the white and red boosters. The "Happy Meal" consists of anti-nausea, steroids, zantx, and 1 IV liter of fluids....so 3 hours later, we were leaving.

She has 3 more shots of Neupogen to get before next Monday in hopes of raising her white count high enough for chemo on Wednesday (12th). Thankfully, she only has to get one shot a week of Aranesp, to boost her red blood cells. Low red blood cells is called anemia and in Melanie's case - Chemotherapy-related anemia. Both shots will stimulate blood cells in her bone marrow...it'll be a painful few days. If her red count had been any lower, they would have given her a blood transfusion. Now THAT thought has never occurred to either of us.

As a preventive measure, they prescribed an antibiotic for her to take for 5 days...added protection against illnesses. Please be mindful of her condition and keep those yucky germs away!

We love you all, and thank you so much for your prayers. She's only been getting chemo treatments for a month, but it seems like A LOT LONGER. We hope this next month is a lot better.

Romans 12:12 - Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm thinkin bout ya Melly!