Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Nanny's Love

Well, it's official - Tyler has more hair than his momma! Nanny, my mom, with tears in her eyes and love in her heart, shaved Melanie's head tonight. I'd venture to say it was one of the hardest things she's ever done. Actually, it was hard for both of them. My mom used to be a hair dresser and has cut Melanie's hair since she was two. So it was only natural for Melanie to ask her Nanny to shave her head. And my mom, bless her heart, agreed. Melanie's hair began falling out last Friday, 2 weeks after receiving her first chemo treatment. Its been coming out by the hand-fulls since. So Melanie decided to take control and end the agony - literally. Her head was hurting. We assume it was because her hair was falling out.

Through tears, Nanny's, Melanie, and mine, mom took the scissors to Melanie's hair and shortend it, then she took the clippers and shaved as close to the scalp as she could. There's about 1/8 of an inch left, but it'll be gone by the end of the week. You just rub on it and it falls out. Melanie said " I never thought in a million years, I would be shaving my head". Nanny said "I never thought in a million years, I would be shaving your head". We laughed and cried.

Personally, I think she looks adorable, and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mom either! She wouldn't let me take pictures so you'll have to trust me when I say she has a pretty round head and her skin is just a little lighter than the insides of her arms. Now with some cold weather here, I don't think she'll get it tanned evenly before it grows back....not that she'll go anywhere without something covering her head.

I never thought in a million years my daughter would have cancer and shave her head so she would have some say on when she'd had no hair. I think she's pretty brave and I stand in awe of her determination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie - I've always thought that you were a beautiful girl, and an even more stunningly beautiful woman - and your hair, as lovely as it was, had little to do with it. Hair or no hair - I think you're gorgeous! May God bless you - Linda

Uta and Family said...

Melanie, I adore the way you take things in your own hands and let nothing take you down. You go through so much, are in so much pain and yet I see you mor around at school and in church than many other parents. I keep you in my prayers for the Lord to continue to strenghten you. You and all your loving family and friends around you.
God bless you,
Uta