Wednesday, October 8, 2008

PET Scan

Melanie had the PET scan today. Just as she was walking back into the room, they told her that she couldn't hold her baby for 24 hours. She'll be radioactive (no, she doesn't glow in the dark). It would have been nice to know before hand so we could have planned the evening better. ..but then again, I get to take care of Tyler until tomorrow afternoon. Melanie's upset that they didn't tell her this in the beginning, but it's only for 24 hours....both will be fine.

They gave her an IV, then brought out a metal box that contained the radioactive shot in a metal syringe. They waited an hour for it to go through her veins. Just as they were getting ready to do the scan, the machine broke. So they had to wait about 30 minutes for a repairman. They took 2 scans. One lasted about 40 minutes and the other lasted about 10.

My mom (a.k.a Nanny) went with her while I watched the boys. I suggested to her that after the scan she take Melanie up stairs to Dr. K (the oncologist) and ask him to do something about the pain in her neck. After all, I'm the mom and I'm imagining all kinds of things that could be wrong. He doesn't think it's the cancer, a muscle spasm maybe. He gave her some Demerol and she'll get to sleep all night, so hopefully tomorrow she will feel like new!... Just in time to start Chemo on Friday.
Micah 5:5 - And He will be their peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Melanie. You are in our prayers everyday!
Love, Gail, Patrick & Cole