I know everyone wants to hear about Melanie's chemo treatment yesterday and there is only one word for it. Awful. I'm not going to give much details now, not enough time.
They got all her premeds in and the first chemo drug, Adriamycin (a.k.a. the red devil) when she spiked a headache. A headache worst than any migraine...and it scared her. They stopped all meds, gave her Demerol for the pain. The doctor and nurses were perplexed because a severe headache is not a side effect patients experience. The headache began around 10:20 and by 1 PM they still couldn't alleviate the pain, and her blood pressure was high. They took us downstairs to the Emergency Room (St. Anthony's). After waiting an hour for triage, they took her back. Finally around 4 they gave her a narcotic that took the pain down, but not gone. She's had a chest x-ray, CT scan, EKG, and spinal tap...and thankfully everything was good there.
They are thinking that it is pregnancy-induced hypertension (a.k.a. pre-eclamsia or post-partum pre-eclamsia). They kept her for overnight observation, my sister stayed with her. Hopefully we will know more today and have a better understanding.
It was a really hard day yesterday and I tried to hold to the Bible verse my mom gave us...Philippians 4:13 - I can do everything through him who gives me strength. But we were both scared, we didn't know what was happening or why. I got a little mad, because we have been through so much this past year, we're tired...I'm not sure how much strength I left.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Sharon, Jim and Melanie -- I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't go well yesterday. It just doesn't seem fair. Just know that we love you and are praying for all of you.
You are in our thought first when we wake up and last when we go to sleep. We keep you in all our prayers. We pray that the Lord will guide your way through these tough times. We know he loves you.
Romans 8:28 - "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
Hi Sharon,
Was reading your blog at work and relating to my co-workers all that you have been through. Where so many people would be bitter and blaming, you are a trooper. I would say I don't know how you endure, but I do know. You have your faith. You are a living testimony of what prayer can do.
Post a Comment