Today's doctor appointment was with Melanie's oncologist, Dr. K. It was the first time I had gone with her to one of her doctor appointments since going with her to Dr. M. - who was the one who got the ball rolling with the testing & surgery that resulted in her diagnosis. While we were waiting, I was looking at the other people waiting and couldn't help thinking about the fact that each one of them had cancer and how sad that was.
They did a blood draw, which she wasn't expecting then Dr. K came in shortly after that. He is a very good doctor, open to any questions, not condescending in any way, and very positive and upbeat about this. The Lord has blessed Melanie with the best doctors anyone could ask for. He felt the lumps in her neck and found a smaller one under her right shoulder. The lumps have grown since he last checked them. After her examination he explained what the next steps will be and when they will take place.
Melanie will be induced on the morning of Sept. 29th. About 10 days later, on October 8th, she will have a PET scan. This will determine the stage of cancer it is which in turn will tell them what kind of chemo medicine to use and how much. She is at least a stage 2, but the PET scan will show that. She will come back to him for the test results, then will begin chemotherapy treatments on October 10th. She will be getting a total of 12 treatments every other week. The alternating weeks she will have to come in to have her blood tests.
Dr. K is very optimistic that her lymphoma will be cured. Those were the words that we wanted to hear and have been praying for.
When we were walking back to the receptionist desk, we ran into one of the Chemo nurse's and Dr. K. They suggested that Melanie get a "port" put in while she is still in the hospital with Tyler. This would eliminate a needle stick every visit. To have that done would be a surgical procedure, so she's thinking about it.
We went back to the reception area to get the treatments scheduled. The receptionist set them up, remarking to the other, about Mel being the sweet one, which warmed my heart. All of the people there were good people, very nice and very compassionate.
Everything seems to be going well; prayers are being answered and we believe the Lord will answer these prayers in a way we would hope for. In times like these, and it seems we've had a few times like these this past year, I continue to fall back on one of my most comfort giving Bible passages:
Psalm 121 - I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey guys,
I wanted to share a verse with ya'll that I had to teach our Jr.Church kids this past Sunday.
It's found in Joshua 1:9
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
When I read this verse I thought instantly of Melanie and the family. Sometimes we have to be reminded of what God has said to us once before about something. This is how I interpeerted the first part of the verse to the kids. It's like God is saying---haven't I allready said this once to you!
I don't know what it's like to walk in your shoes; I know that God's ways are not our ways, his thoughts are not our thoughts...And that He has everything under His control.
Mel Bel...use His strength to be strong, lean on His shoulders to find courage, and try not to be afraid or worry, for He's with you where ever you are. None of us has the answer to the question "WHY ME". We may never know, but know this...God is with you, He's your strength and through Him YOU will get through this!
Love you llots!!!
Aunt Cindy
Post a Comment